Saturday, December 17, 2005

Had a chance to sit down with Kyle last night. He tried to justify missing his counseling appointment by saying the counselor is an idiot. We've heard this about every professional we've ever taken him to. He gave an example of saying he can't sleep. The counselor says, in an excruciatingly slow voice, "Many people with your condition suffer from this. You might try, um, say, reading a book?" To be fair to Kyle, I can understand how this would set him off. He is brilliant, and I'm sure he knows as much about his condition, and very possibly more, than the counselor. We convinced him to continue to go, but I can see the time coming where he gets bored and starts playing games with the counselor.

As far as meds, he gave us several reasons he wouldn't take meds. I ended up telling him of my youth, and how I lost jobs, and did things that sabotaged careers. That several former peers from one job stayed together while I got bored and had to make a change, and they are all retired now in their mid forties to fifties. I told him how, had I been diagnosed and properly medicated, my life could have been SO much easier. He wants to find a job, and the stress of that single task, the pressure of walking into Starbucks and asking them for a job drives him into a manic state. I tried to show him how he's going about this backwards. Get on the right med, and everything else in life becomes easier. I don't know if I got through to him, but I did see him take his first Risperdal(?). We'll see if it continues.

Reposted from Living With A Purple Dog.

Comments:
Thank you dearly for sharing the story of your son. I guess I considered myself a 'black sheep,' but you called him a unicorn...and it made me think differently.

I can really identify with the medication struggle. It's hard not to wonder 'what if.'

Bless you for sharing your thoughts. They have helped me.
 
I AM SO SORRY ABOUT KYLE AND YOUR HARD TIMES LEADING UPTO THE END. I JUST FOUND YOUR STORY AS MY SON(STEPSON) WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BIPOLAR AND POSSIBLE SCITSOPFRENIC. THEY HAVE PRESCRIBED THE SAME RISPORDONE. BUT I FEAR HE WILL NOT BE TAKING THEM RIGHT AS WITH YOUR STORY HE JUST WONT CONTINUE. HE ALREADY SAID HE ONLY TAKES 1 A DAY IF THAT SUPPOSE TO BE 2 A DAY. HE HAS ALWAYS DONE POT AND PERIODICALLY OTHER THINGS AND MAYBE A LITTLE DRINKING. HES JUST NOT RIGHT. CONVERSATION WITH HIM RARELY MAKES SENSE. VERY OUT RAGED THEN CALM THEN YA JUST DONT KNOW. WHEN I LOOKED HIM IN THE EYES THE OTHER DAY I DID NOT EVEN SEE THE OLD BRIAN. EXTREMELY HEART BREAKING. I FEAR SO MUCH HE IS GOING TO END UP IN THE SAME PLACE AS KYLE. I CAN NOT BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW TERRABLE I FEEL FOR YOU. YOUR STORY, YOUR LIFE, SOUNDS SOOO VERY FAMILIAR. BRIAN LOST HIS JOB HAS NO MONEY TRYING FOR UNEMPLOYMENT DISABILITY AND AS YOU SAID DENIED. STILL TRYING THOUGH. RECEIVED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TICKETS IN AND OUT OF COURT. MADE THREATS TO OTHER PEOPLE PUTTING HORRIBLE THINGS ON FACEBOOK THAT HE DEFINITELY SHOULDNT. ITS ALIANATING ANY FRIENDS OLD AND NEW THAT HE HAS EVER HAD. AND FAMILY. BUT WE ARE TRYING. HE HAS AGREED TO GO TO A SECOND PHSYCIATRY APPOINTMENT TOM. WITH HIS DAD. BUT HIS ATTITUDE IS JUST TO SHUT EVERYONE UP. I DONT KNOW I AM SORRY I RAMBLED. WE ARE ALL SCARED. I GUESS WE CAN ONLY DO 1 DAY AT A TIME AND HOPE AND PRAY FOR THE BEST. BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF HE DONT TAKE HIS MEDICINE. AS YOU SAID JOB WISE AND SELF CONFIDENCE ISNT THERE IF HE CANT GET ON THE RIGHT TRACK. WE UNDERSTAND IT IS A LIFE LONG THING WITH MEDICINE WHICH IS FINE IF WE KEEP OUR BRIAN. GOD BLESS YOU MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU. I WILL TRY TO KEEP YOU POSTED. I AM SORRY THAT WAS HOW YOUR LAST FEW YEARS WENT WITH KYLE. VICKEY SICKLER vlscofield@hotmail.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home